The Scoop on Poop
1/12/16 — This isn’t the prettiest topic, but you can’t feel your best if your poop if out of whack!
This came up at a workshop I did over the weekend, so I started doing some research. Here’s the shit that spoke to me most.
First of all, a good poop is light brown, not overly smelly, well-formed/shaped like a snake, comes out easily, makes you feel complete when you’re done, and floats.
Paul Chek, author of How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!, says the average person should pass 12 inches a day.
If your poops aren’t quite there, try this:
- Eat fiber. Specifically raw organic fruits and veggies.
- Eat healthy fats. Don’t overdo this stuff, but think free-range animals, eggs, wild fish, avocados, and high-quality oils (not heated above their respective smoke points).
- Drink water. Chek says when we are dehydrated, our bodies draw water out of our colons (which means poop is diminished and our systems get nourished by what’s essentially poop water–not good).
- Consume probiotics to nourish the bugs in your gut that produce those pretty poops.
- Relax. Poop gets messed up when we’re stressed. Even a minute of deep breathing can help regulate things (as you do that, be mindful—especially if you have issues with constipation—of where you may be holding onto things mentally and emotionally too. Consider where you could bring more ease or loosen up overall. May as well improve flow all around!).
I hope these tips move you.